The usual sporting complex of the Garfield Sobers Gymnasium was transformed into a culinary arena and marketplace last weekend, November 13-15, 2015 when the Roberts sponsored event in association with Caribbean Cuizine tagged a Three-Course Weekend, got underway.
The appetizer in the first course on Friday, November 13 focussed mainly on schools during the morning sessions. The students in attendance sat in on Workshops giving tips on knife skills facilitated by Chef Glenroy Alleyne and the teaching of the rudiments of making unique ice creams like the sweet potato flavour on offer from Marion Hart (MBE). In the latter part of the evening the Mixologists stirred it up in a battle for bragging rights where Ryan Adamson walked away with The Dining Club Group of Companies Award for the most outstanding professional in the Bartending Competition, $1000 cash and a trophy.
diplomatic, business, broadcast and cultural communities, along with the semifinals of the Professional Chef Cook-off and the Best Bajan Cook. In the Celebrity Showcase the ‘wannabe’ chefs invited, put their flair on some interesting and exciting dishes for patrons to enjoy. In this fun component, Marcia Weekes, Filmmaker and also Director of the Praise Academy of Dance, took the most popularity votes for her Honey Ginger Chicken, followed by Her Excellency Wang Ke, Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to Barbados, with an array of Chinese delicacies and the 2015 Pic-O-De-Crop Calypso Monarch, William ‘Classic’ Waithe with his dish Something’s Fishy.
2015 ROBERTS NIFCA CULINARY ARTS AWARDS AT A GLANCE:
1. Marcia Weekes, Filmmaker and Director of the Praise Academy of Dance – Honey Ginger Chicken
2. Her Excellency Wang Ke, Ambassador of the People’s Republic of China to Barbados – Spring Rolls, Shrimp Dumplings, Egg Tarts, Sweetened Bean Paste Cake, Chinese Jasmine Tea and Green Tea
3. William ‘Classic’ Waithe, Pic-O-De-Crop 2015 Calypso Monarch – Something’s Fishy
Winner – Ryan Adamson of Mount Gay
The Dining Club Group of Companies Award for the most outstanding professional in the Bartending Competition, $1000 cash and a trophy.
Gold Award Winner – Trevon Stoute
1. Kerry-Ann Walters, Returnee, second place in 2104 – The Enid Maxwell Award with a $2000 cash prize and a trophy presented for the most outstanding gold awarded entry scoring 95% or higher along with a trip to New York compliments Jet Blue.
2. Susan Taylor – Account topped up $1000 cash compliments the Barbados Public Workers Credit Union.
3. Kerry-Ann Johnson – $500 Shopping Voucher from SkyMall
4. Jamelia DePeiza – Lunch for two for 5 days at any of the Dining Club locations
– Nomination: Nesting Turtle Shanese Phoenix
– Nesting Turtle Shanese Phoenix
– Nomination: The Ellerton Primary SchoolBEST BOOTH DISPLAY
– Mars Yearwood
Cornmeal CouCou with Honey and Seasoned Salt Fish Sauce
Green Monkey Cassava Cake
Breadfruit Au Gratin
Green Banana Dumpling
The Ellerton Primary School
– Lisa Wall – Good work in Cheesecakes
– Leroy Barrow – Good work in Liqueurs
– Audrey Watson – Good work in Preserves
– Craig Haniff – Good work in Beverages