The Cultural Development Department is headed by the Chief Cultural Officer who oversees a staff of 8 Cultural Officers assigned in the following areas:
– Literary Arts
– Theatre Arts
– Visual Arts
– Curator-Queens Park Gallery
And four (4) other support staff in Administration and at the Gallery.
The main functions of the department are:
- Carrying out the cultural development policies and programmes of the Foundation.
- Conceptualisation and preparation of programme proposals and budgets.
- Identification and mobilisation of technical resources in such a way as to enable the Foundation to implement its cultural development policy.
- Organisation of training programmes for individuals and groups in the various disciplines of the Arts.
- Organisation of educational programmes pertaining to the cultural heritage of Barbados for individuals and groups.
- Carrying out research and compiling data on the cultural heritage of Barbados.
- Assisting in the organisation of national festivals.
- Producing the annual NIFCA-the National Independence Festival of Creative Arts.
- Liaising with various governmental and non-governmental departments in the facilitation of cultural development in Barbados.
Chief Cultural Officer
The Chief Cultural Officer has responsibility for:
- Overseeing the administration of the department’s programming and exhibition goals.
- Serving as the NCF’s representative to several cultural committees, most notably the Barbados National Committee of International Council of Museums.
- Forging links between the Operations department and other departments within the NCF and Government.
- Supervising the staff of the Cultural Development Department of the NCF.
The objectives of the Cultural Development Department are:
- To develop a cultural awareness and national identity among Barbadians
- To train our artists to recognise, strive for and achieve standards of excellence
- To identify persons ‘at risk’ of becoming involved in socially and culturally desirable activities
- To expand and enrich the creative framework for artistes to maximise their creative and business potential.